Experience the spectacular natural beauty of the Bay of Islands and its abundant wildlife while we cruise the sheltered waters and discover whales, dolphins, seals, birdlife and more. We view marine mammals on 90% of our trips however, we also offer a marine mammal viewing guarantee so you can come again for free if we don’t spot any marine mammals during your cruise^.
Your trip will include a stop at Otehei Bay on the Department of Conservation’s recreation reserve Urupukapuka Island, where you will learn about the local marine mammal sanctuary and how Project Island Song is restoring the island ecosystems to bring native birdsong back to the islands.
You will also have time to explore the island via the established tracks and spot reintroduced native wildlife including tīeke (North Island saddleback), toutouwai (North Island robin), pāteke (brown teal), Wētāpunga (giant wētā) and more.
- 4 hours scenic cruise on board our purpose-built vessel with large viewing decks and air-conditioned cabin
- Opportunity to view marine mammals including dolphins, whales, seals, birdlife and more
- Marine mammal viewing guarantee – come again for free if we don’t spot any marine mammals during your cruise^
- 1.5 hour stop at Otehei Bay to spot the native wildlife reintroduced on Urupukapuka including Tīeke, Kakariki, Toutouwai and more
- Learn about the restoration and repopulation of the Islands with native flora and fauna through the efforts of Local Iwi, Department of Conservation and Project Island Song
- Opportunity to experience the thrill of boom-netting or an alternate snorkelling/swimming activity (conditions permitting)
- Option to purchase drinks and snacks on board, as well as full café and bar facilities at Otehei Bay
Explore Group is one of only two operators in the Bay of Islands licensed by the Department of Conservation to interact with Marine Mammals. Please note that as marine mammals are wild there will be occasions where we do not encounter them during our cruise.
This cruise is operating in partnership with Fullers GreatSights - some departures may code share.